Go Rural for Business - Blog
Learning Journey to Tuscany and Umbria 2016
4th February 2016
6-10 September 2016
Following the extremely successful learning journeys to Tuscany and Umbria in 2014 and 2015, Go Rural are in the preliminary stages of planning this year's, returning to Tuscany and Umbria. 100% of those attending previously advised that the Learning Journeys had a positive impact on them. Delegates felt that being away with like minded individuals enabled them to look at their business with a fresh perspective and allowed them to compare/contrast what their strengths and weaknesses were. New opportunities were identified and new working relationships established. Read about the personal experiences of those attending here
The cost is £990 but depending on where you stay, there may be opportunities for part funding support to attend. The learning journey will have a duration of 5 days, 4 nights. At this stage we are looking for initial expressions of interest and as places are limited to 10 people, if you are interested please email email@example.com.
Who should attend?
Owners or managers from farms, estates and crofts, farmers running agritourism businesses or who are selling food direct, online, to the catering trade or at farmer's markets, food businesses, tourism businesses and those from the supply chain and industry representatives with a focus on the rural economy, farming, food and tourism.
What will be covered over the duration of the Learning Journey?
- Meetings with Italian farmers to discuss comparisons in Italian agriculture, tourism and the rural economy
- Understanding the impact that making agritourism a defined agricultural activity in law in 1985 has made on the rural economy
- Visit to a farmers market and meetings with the organisers
- Farm shop visit and meeting with Management
- Behind the scenes at several Italian farms to gain an insight into their added value food, tourism and leisure enterprises
- Industry rep meetings such as Italian Farmer's Unions, Dept of Agriculture, Slow Food Movement and tourism bodies
- Meeting with academics and researchers specialising in the rural economy, agriculture and agritourism
Facilitated and informal discussions with others on the trip to share knowledge, experience and to build relationships
- Staying in authentic agritourism businesses on farms, understanding Italian culture and experiencing high quality food and drink